"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday for Us

Monday has turned out to be a very productive day for us..
A friend told me about a website that has some booklists / lesson plans that are more in the Five-in-a-Row style and  and so I thought I would try some..  I am  enjoying this resource and really appreciate my friend telling me about it... I like to use varied curriculum so the kids are always excited about something new..


So, today we began with " Abuela's Weave"... It is a wonderful story about a lil' girl in Argentina.. We were able to discuss life in South America and the types of homes (thatched roofs and mud/stone dwellings)...


We then looked at the globe  and my 7yo DS found it very easily and both kids were able to tell me it was located in Central America...


We talked about the Quetzal and that it is an "honored" bird in many Central and South American cultures... We discussed the Mayans and looked at some Mayan architectur online,  as well as,  some  beautiful tapestires online....


We also were able to discuss how it's not nice to say ugly things about others and how it hurts their feelings... (in the story , Abueala has a birthmark on her face and people made fun and said terrible things about her) And we discussed how God makes everyone different and special in his/her own way...


I am already planning what we will do tomorrow and the rest of the week... I think that this weekend I will get a potholder set and let the kids make some to explain a loom and the use of it...


Happy Learning

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are loving them.


    Abeula's Weave is a new unit that just came out this summer!

    Don't forget to check out all the free lapbook, notebook and other free components they usually have available for these units!


    I love LBUS.

    Next Week we are doing Salamander Room (FIAR)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...