"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Wishing You A Rainbow" ~ Our week with "Expedition Ireland"

This week has actually been one of our favorites. During our school time, we ventured to the Emerald Isle…
Expedition Ireland

Our Download N’ Go unit this week was “Expedition Ireland” and with it we had so much fun learning about the beautiful island full of legends, rainbows, and leprechauns…

I have always been fascinated by the majestic beauty and the wonderful history that surrounds Ireland, so I was excited to have the opportunity to look at it through my kids eyes.

With each affordable, comprehensive Download N’ Go unit, everything you need is included –websites, videos, activity pages, lapbook components. They are geared to grades K-4 ~ but I find it extremely easy with no prep-work to modify them for my 5th grader. My planning and prep time is a minimal 30 minutes and is easy because all the work is done for me. I look over the unit, print out what needs to be printed, make a grocery list (if there are recipes included) and log on to the library to reserve my books (which are included in an extensive book list for each day of the unit).

Page Spread

Our days were spent learning within a themed topic:

Day 1: Where on Earth is Ireland?

Day 2: The Places of Ireland

Day 3: A Bit of History

Day 4: Cool Things to Know about Ireland

Day 5: Fun and Games in Ireland

The fantastic video links lead you to wonderful Irish folk music and beautiful scenery.

Our first day we took an aerial flight over Ireland and learned about the Giant’s Causeway. Download N’ Go’s are an incredible way to get in geography lesson.

(which I must say was pretty incredible!!! )

Language arts is covered with legends, vocabulary, and wonderful verses for copy work.

And science is in there too ~ I never new what a stoat was…

Delicious recipes (my husband’s favorite part of the week) were made as the kids measured ingredients and attempted to speak with an Irish brogue (which sounded so strange with their southern drawls)..

Everything you need in one downloadable package.

With March on it’s way, take a walk on the Carrick A Rede rope bridge and learn about St. Patrick’s Day with “Expedition Ireland“. It will certainly give you a new way to be wearing the green in your home school. You can travel to Ireland or other wonderful countries with Download N' Go's wonderful "Expedition" series for only $7.95. What an incredibly afforadable price for a week (or longer) jam-packed with Irish fun.  To find Expedition Ireland or others like it, click here.  And now thru Monday, Feb. 21st, there are incredible $5 deals going, find out more by clicking here.

animated wreath of clovers Erin go Bragh      animated wreath of clovers

3 comments:

  1. Hi, there. I appreciated your blog on "Expedition Ireland." I've just ordered my first few DNG's, and I'm wondering how you know what to print and what not to? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it looks like you actually print out two pages on one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper (to fit in your lapbook). Is that right? Thanks again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Briana,
    Thanks for your comment!!
    I just look throught the unit after I download it and I decided what I think the kids can cover and would enjoy convering... It's really up to you in what you think would wirk best for your kids... I DON'T print the whole thing!! I just print out what I think they would do ~ and some units, I haven't printed anything ~ we have just written in our notebooks about what they have learned and done some copywork with maybe a map tp label... they really are so flexible ~ they will adapt to how you need to use them...
    My kids like making lapbooks (they like to show their dad) so we do that often and we also use notebooking, writing down things they remember from what we talk about and use verses or poetry included in the units for copywork...
    They really like it and they are certainly a time-saver for me...
    I hope you like them... !! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...