"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Sunday, February 27, 2011

What Do I Care About? Day 12 : Praying For Our Children

That's the question all parents (homeschool or not) ask themselves... Now that it's time when the standardized tests (that are required by my umbrella program) are coming up fast, and curriculum planning for the next year begins ~ I think about it even more...

The prayer for today (Day 12) was ~ Lord, may my children always be strong and courageous in their character and in their actions. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

How can our children be this way without us as parents being their teachers and examples? Which started me to thinking even more~

Why do we choose to raise our kids the way we do? Why do we homeschool? Why are we selective about who we allow our children to be around?

Why do we pick certain curriculum and not others, why choose certain ways of teaching our children and not others?

I used to be so focused on how my children scored on their testing dates and worried about what path we would take if we needed to do things differently.

In the last few years, I have come to the conclusion that I am no longer as concerned with how my children score on a test, any test. I desire to no longer worry if they are able to remember who fought the which war, nor when this or that was discovered.. I want to no longer have worry if they can add, subtract, spell, or become a best selling author...

I want my children to achieve a greater goal~ one that is of a higher calling... the real reason that I feel we were "led" to homeschooling...

I want my children to achieve character, become ethical, want to provide service to others... I care about whether my children possess wisdom and godliness...

I am comforted that "what I have come to care about" is the way God has planned for us to go...

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" (Proverbs 22:6)

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
(2 Timothy 3:14-15)

The product of child raising is not the child, but the parent ~ and I truly hope that the changes in me that have come about since becoming a parent will only continue to bring me closer to that which I want to become...

2 comments:

  1. I was just glancing at an article today that headlined. "Homeschooling is not about education."
    Well it is, but it is sooooo much more than that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...