"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Monday, February 7, 2011

Exploring Human Anatomy and Physiology ~ Week 2

We are really enjoying our human anatomy study so far..

We have been taking our time and the kids are really retaining a lot more than I expected…

 I love how each part of the cell is broke down and related to something the kids can associate with in their life… Mitochondria being power plants (or substations since that’s what DH does for a living) , the cell itself is a city, and the lysosomes as policeman…

Photobucket
Here's some pictures of the cell anatomy the kids drew in their notebooks...
Photobucket  Libby's journal entry

 
Photobucket    Tommy's journal entry

 Jeanne Fulbright adds biblical history in there in a way that is easy for the kids to understand and relate to the topic ~ correlating the Wall of Jericho to the cell membrane for example….

 I got a great idea from my friend Michelle to make some flash cards with the word and a picture of it’s function… so, we’ve been playing with these every day as a review and it’s a great way to improve the kids memory of what they’ve been learning…

We’ve ordered some other books to use as go-alongs from Amazon… 2 of these that we are using now are “Enjoy Your Cells” by Fran Balkwill and Galen and the “Gateway to Medicine” by Jeanne Bendick.
Photobucket

I also have gotten some movies from Netflix : "Human Body: Pushing the Limits by Discover" and then this one from National Geographic, called "National Geographic: The Human Body"… both are in our instant queue, so we can watch them as we need to go-along with what we are studying… of course the kids are still watching “The Magic School Bus: The Human Body” almost daily (they love the Magic School Bus movies)…

Today we traced our bodies and cut them out to place on the wall, so we can add organs and systems as we study them… I never realized how tall my son was getting, until I saw his shape on the paper… *LOL*

One other thing that I decided to invest in with the start of this unit was a membership to BrainPop … They have so many online lessons and movies about all things science that it will pay for itself (hopefully)…

As we go-along, I will be posting different books and items that we are using in our study at home and I will also be posting about the activites of our Anatomy co-op that we and 2 other families are doing bi-weekly while we do this study..

Now back to our bodies ~ we’ll check back in soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message...