"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Friday, February 25, 2011

FUN FRIDAY

Today was "FUN FRIDAY" at our house... Meaning we take a break from our normal school routine and do some "FUN SCHOOL"... I couldn't wait myself ~ I've had an obnoxious cold all week and was relishing the thought of letting the kids have fun learning and me getting to rest and relax a bit... (Cold meds always make me want to sleep)...

We started the day with our usual Friday routine ~ a spelling test... But they had to do it hopping on one foot...

We followed our spelling with some worksheets from "First Lessons in Arithmetic"� ~ that I printed off for them...These are math lessons from 1878 and the kids enjoy doing them and they get to use our modern day "slates" which is simply a piece of laminated paper and a dry-erase marker...(and the best part is it's free, easy to use, and a change from our normal daily math program)

Then on to reading ~ we continued with our read aloud on "Galen and the Gateway to Medicine"

We went to the kitchen and did an experiment of blowing up a balloon with common household ingredients...We chose two different methods to make the necessary carbon dioxide: yeast, and baking soda and vinegar ... from Science BOB



The ingredients and the kids' science journals...



Adding the yeast and sugar....



WATER please....

SUCCESS!!!!

and finished the day with a mean game of "SORRY" ...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message...