"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Boy Scout Experiment

DS is in the Boy Scouts and at last nights meeting of the wolves, they did this experiment... They were learning about "chemical reactions"... it's a pretty good one and I thought I would share it with you...


Items Needed:



  • balloon

  • empty, dry, 2 liter bottle

  • baking soda

  • vinegar

  • tissue 


How-To's:


Fill the 2-liter bottle about 1/3 with vinegar. Place several tablespoons of baking soda into the balloon. Stretch the mouth of the balloon to cover the mouth of the bottle. Pull the balloon up so that all the baking sodainside falls into the bottle and watch the balloon get full of air... (you can even place a rubber band around the neck of the balloon / bottle to hold it in place)... Balloon will inflate from exhaust created from baking soda and vinegar...


DS couldn't wait to come home and do it again for me and DD...


3 comments:

  1. homeschoolingmommaof4November 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM

    We did that one here this year. It was a hit with my guys.


    Btw I have a little gift for everyone that participated in the 155,000 clicks contest. Stop by my blog and email me the email address you'd like it sent to. My email is under the links section.


    Have a blessed day!

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing that tomorrow--thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids did that experiment on Thanksgiving. DS2 noticed his aunt had some baking soda. Next thing you know, they had a huge mess all over the kids table. They had fun. Problem was, he put the vinegar in the balloon and didn't hold it to the side when he put it on. After about five tries, he got it right.


    My kids like cinnamon in their waffles. I've not tried the chocolate chip yet. I'll have to do some of those. Thanks for the idea/recipe.


    Jennifer

    Http://tnmomwith3kids.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...