"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Thursday, October 4, 2007

ALA Banned Books

In recognizing the ALA Banned Book week, I decided to see exactly how many classics that I love and plan to use in the future on the homeschool road that have been protested against and banned at some point in print history... I was amazed and astonished at how many classics had been torn apart in this fasion by people unable to appreciate them for the literary masterpieces they are... and it saddens me to think that there is still some of those opinions out there... So, here goes the list I have made for myself:



The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald


The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger


The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck


To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee


The Color Purple, Alice Walker


Ulysses, James Joyce


The Lord of the Flies, William Golding


1984, George Orwell


Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck


The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway


A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway


Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell


One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey


For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway


The Call of the Wild, Jack London


The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien


Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut


 


 


1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya' on this. Completely a waste of time. There are other things that should be of concern and worry to people and society in this country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...