"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Learning Sign Language...

Today we started something new in our curriculum... SIGN LANGUAGE

The last couple of years, DD has taken a "performance" sign language class at our HS co-op... she learned sign to a couple of songs each semester and then would perform them with her group of friends in a recital at the end of each semester... She really developed a love for sign.. So when our local library offered signing classes this summer, we signed up... They used the "Signing Time" videos, which though made for younger kids, are wonderful...the only downfall to the class was it was only 1~2 times a month and for less than an hour...

Now we happen to have been blessed by a wonderful young lady who taught sign at the co-op because she is offering a weekly FREE sign class at her dance studio... of course, I signed both kidlets up to take the class... but I worried about what to do in the time between classes when they would come home and I wasn't able to help them... I looked into buying "Signing Time" videos and the cost was just way to much for our budget...

But, I have found the cure to our problem... and it's called "American Sign Language for Kids" from Learning Tree... These are videos that teach kids (my kids age) ASL in a way that is enjoyable and fun... They loved it!!  Not only are they affordable, but  the DVD is easy to follow, with lots of repetition for practice, social tips, and mini quizzes... they were a captive audience and loved it...

I am very pleased!!  If you'd like to check it out before buying, you can rent it here on YouTube for $3.99...

Happy Learning!!!

 

3 comments:

  1. cool! You don't know if either of those videos is offered via Netflix, do you? I've been contemplating a Netflix subscription....

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ, I'm not sure... But the Netflix subscription has been wonderful for us... I have found all kinds of movies and educational things to use in school with Netflix!! we use the $15 plan (or close to that) and then stream in through the Xbox... Love it!! I'll check and see if they are there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I read this, My son age 9 has took an interest in sign language, and we have been learning what I could find in books to teach him, he also has a memory retention problem so I was thinking this would help with that as well.... Thanks for posting about this, I am so very glad you did!
    XOXO Kayla

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...