"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fun with Roller Coasters... Our Download N'Go Review

RollerCoasterCovertiltleft

This week, we have spent our time learning about “ROLLER COASTERS” with help from Download  N’ Go unit studies, a product from Amanda Bennett. This was not our first time using a Download N’ Go product, but I can’t say enough about them. We LOVE them!!

First , I must say the Download N’ Go studies are an “easy to use” product with lots of information that is prepared  so that it is easily researched by the child.  I spent  about an hour one evening looking over it (my personal preference, so I can hold books online) prior to the actual start of the unit and that’s it, so easy to use that you can actually just open up the laptop and go…

In the plan, you get a “5 DAY” study of a particular subject with daily objectives included. The objectives of “ROLLERCOASTERS” being:

Day 1: What is a Roller Coaster

Day 2: The History of Roller Coasters

Day 3: People and Places of Roller Coasters

Day 4: Science and Secrets of Roller Coasters and Rides

Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Roller Coasters

The lesson plan is complete. All the activities, go-alongs, and projects are there, done for you.



Each day is then broken down even further with added topics and information being compounded on each day.  A book list is also given for EACH day with books that can be found at your local library. With this unit on “ROLLER COASTERS”, I had trouble locating some of the books that were recommended for use on particular days. However, I was able to obtain enough of them and some others using  the search engine at my library. But in the unit itself there are enough links to great information that even without the recommended reading, there was more than enough information to complete this unit. One book that I got from my library that my kids loved was a tabletop book of roller coaster pictures called, " Roller Coasters: A Thrill Seekers Guide to the Ultimate Scream Machines" ...

DSCF2731.jpg image by mykidsmatter2











Two movies that I just happened to be able to get through my library, that were not on the recommendation list, which my kidlets loved were “Roller Coasters” and Popular Mechanics “Rip-Roaring Roller Coasters” which gave you the idea of being on a roller coaster while being comfortable on your couch.

DSCF2730-1.jpg picture by mykidsmatter2

Talking about videos leads me to another extra that is included: links to video clips.  All the research done, so you don’t have to. Your kids will love seeing different pictures of various roller coasters around the world, or “riding” in a bobsled coaster on YouTube.





Another important thing to me is the content. The age range of the “Download N’ Go” units are K-4th grade. I used this with a 2nd grader and a 5th grader, but I found the information was great for both of those ages, and the internet links found throughout the lessons made it easy for my son to help my daughter find information without any difficulty.

DSCF2717.jpg picture by mykidsmatter2



They just clicked on the link found in the unit. No worries that they would go somewhere inappropriate. And this was a great help with my DS and his independent study.

DSCF2706.jpg picture by mykidsmatter2


Science, history, and geography were also here with my kidlets learning about Europe and Asia, physics, discussing American Inventors and playing with a Slinky (which I picked-up as a go-along at Walmart). And don’t worry, spelling and vocabulary  are in there too.

DS and DD loved building their own versions of roller coasters with K’Nex (which can still be found in the living room floor being played with)…

DSCF2711.jpg picture by mykidsmatter2

My kids loved the “County Fair” atmosphere in our schoolroom and that enhanced the learning fun about, not only roller coasters, but other incredible thrill rides.  So needless to say, corn dogs, homemade

funnel cakes, lemonade, and popcorn were foods of choice throughout the week.

DSCF2715.jpg picture by mykidsmatter2




Have a great week!!




9 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun unit! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're enjoying our week with Roller Coasters, too!! The beauty of homeschooling, we can take it along, even when attending extended-family emergencies.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job! I followed the new linky for our group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to win a copy of this unit. We went to our first theme park this summer and my oldest fell in love with roller coasters. Sounds like a fun unit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey friend - did you know you have your comments set so that one has to be logged on to HSB to comment? Anyway, I"m commenting. You guys are convincing me that we'd enjoy a couple of these. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK not sure where I am supposed to comment. Anyway I am commenting here too.
    Put me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Download N' Go. I will go look it up. The Roller Coaster one sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great unit study.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your review. I first found DNG a few days ago, and it intrigued me. Sounds like a fun way to add variety, and a way to see how the different areas of schooling come together in the 'real world'. And, of course, the real seller - the research and information is all there for you! We ordered the 'Pizza' DNG to check out the program. Although 'Rollar Coasters' sounded interesting, it was not even on my wish list. Because of your review I will be adding it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...