"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ok.. Week 1~ Day 3 of FULL-TIME school!!

It's been good and bad...


We've almost completed the Ice Cream Unit we started the last week of July (which happened to be National Ice Cream month) and we have also started our composer studies...


Most of our time has been great... The hurdles that we have been working on for the past couple of weeks getting into our full schedule have been tackled and some new ideas have come my way to fix the problem spots...


First, my DD HATES MUS... I thought it would be great for her, a perfect fit... Well, apparently, I was WRONG!!  So, after several days of trying it and listening to her finally cry, I decided to try some old Abeka 1 math worksheets I had that my son had never completed ... and she is in heaven...Loves it...so, I am gonna be doing that and also supplement with the fun stuff from Hooked on Math and Family Math(which we used some last year and they both love) Both of which I got for some real deals last yeat.... I gave $25 for the HOM at a clearance sale (much cheaper than the $150 price on the website) and less than $5 (including shipping) from Amazon on Family Math...


Next on our fix-it list.... We are not going to be able to accomplish "EVERYTHING EVERYDAY" .... So I worked on a schedule yesterday (which I will post a little later after a few tweaks) in which we divide up several items (like history, science, and geography)  ...Also this year, I am dividing up my history and science by semester... I like use unit studies so, I pick and choose info from living books, science books, textbooks, and other sources to meet our needs on the topic we are studing... I try as much as possible to use a chronological approach (more for my sanity) and the kids each have a book of centuries they are putting together, using a 3 ring binder....


So wish me luck and HAPPY LEARNING!!!


2 comments:

  1. You will have to let me know how you are doing it.

    I saw it somewhere. It looked intimidating and cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    We are using a 3 ring binder and photo sleeve pages (the ones with multiple slots) and I print clip art images on cardstock and we stick them in the sleeves with the date)... I just hope I can keep finding the pages...I need to stock up next time I find them... and I also thought about using cardstock and clear page protectors too... That is almost easier since I can move them to accomodate new ones easier...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...