"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Thursday, August 6, 2009

Making Butter...

We've been using raw milk for several months now... The milk we've been using comes from Jersey cows and has a very high cream content... I decided to finally use the cream and try my hand at making butter... I had made butter before using the Mason Jar method, but it took too much of my time and I didn't like the results...So I went looking for "OTHER" methods...


 


Photobucket


I asked my friends over at the HomeschoolShare forums if any of them made butter and got a great idea from one of the wonderful ladies to use my KitchenAid stand mixer...(they are a wonderful group of ladies for ideas, activities, or just a shoulder for support) ... It worked great and in less than 20 minutes, (without me doing anything) I had butter...


Here's how I made mine:


Butter


Ingredients


2 cups heavy cream (at a temperature between 60 and 68°F)


a 1/4 tsp. of salt (optional)


1. Place cream in the clean, cool bowl of your stand mixer...Mix on medium speed (I set mine on 4 using the wire whisk attachment) ...


2. Basically, you begin by making whipped cream.... Once the cream is in the stiff-peak stage, slow the mixing down a little (I set mine to 2) ... The cream will now start to clump in the bowl...


Photobucket

3. What you have in the bowl will quickly turn from creamy white to buttery yellow...After a short while, the buttermilk will begin to separate from the butter fat....


4. Pour off the buttermilk...rinse the remaining buttermilk from the solid bits, by pouring cold water over the butter, and squeeze and knead... Repeat until the water runs clear..


Photobucket

5. The Finished Product!!!


3 comments:

  1. Looks great, Lisa. Thanks for sharing.

    Edwena from HSS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! That is neat!


    Now I would be wanting some homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! So glad it worked for you! Looks yummy.

    Bonnie

    from HSS

    http://www.inspiredmomof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...