"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Thursday, August 13, 2009

The 2009 Perseid Meteor Shower...

Tuesday night I set the alarm clock to go off at 2am which was the beginning of the peak time to see the meteor shower that I had been waiting for days to show the kids...Well, mother nature didn't cooperate with us and it was cloudy and proceeded to thunder-storm...


But being persistent, we set out to see what we could last night... 



                  (wish our view could have looked like this one)


                   Perseid (SPL)


                         (but it looked more like this...)


And WE DID IT!!!  I now have 2 kidlets that are thrilled about seeing the meteors and looking forward to getting up this morning and learning more about them...


Even though it was not the "prime" viewing time the astronomers had suggested, it was still beautiful and a reminder of God's awesome power and greatness... They were beautiful, some were fast and fleeting and some were large and slow and seemed to glow forever...


 


Here are some resources that I have found this morning while researching for lesson plans/ideas to use today with the kidlets....



2009 Meteor Showers


 


 National Geographic


 


Astronomy for Kids   this is one of my favorite sites (use it all the time)


 


These are some books that I checked out from the library hoping to get to use them!! (had my fingers crossed )


Call Me Ahnighitoa unit study for this can be found here


Maria's Cometa unit study for this can be found here


 


and then this is a great book "I can be an Astronomer" by Paul Sipiera...


 


Hope you got to enjoy the beautiful show from heaven as we did!!


Have a great day and keep your eyes to the stars!!!



2 comments:

  1. We went out but it was so cloudy, we didn't see a single one-very disappointing. We were looking forward to it because we have seen them in the past.

    BTW-great book finds from your previous post. I love finding some good books-cheap!

    Blessings!

    www.lifeoncourtneylane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this! We did the same thing except my pictures are No where near that clear and good looking, heck all you see is mostly darkness with speks in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...