"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Saturday, July 14, 2007

To Be Year Round or Not? That is the question...

I've been thinking about homeschooling year round... I guess you could say that we have been doing that in the fact that when the kidlets were small, we learned all the time.  And then as we have progressed to kindergarten and then to first grade, we have used our "vacations" for learning experiences and even did "learning" things over the holidays and weekends such as lapbooks and books involving the holiday itself... Here are a few of my reasons for deciding that I should make that leap and just call it school year-round:


Weeks of review will be tossed to the side and new learning and adventures can occur.             


I can concentrate on any strengths or special gifted areas in each child! DS can explore and create new imaginary adventures and DD can dance, sing, and cook marvelous pretend treats  to her hearts content because "WE" will have time.   


We live in rural East TN,  so there are hours in the afternoon when it’s simply too hot to be outdoors – a perfect time to work on art, music, indoor projects and educational hobbies along with reading many wonderful books. Lots of time to spend on meaningful, educational, and fun pursuits.


I want to make learning FUN, and instill a lifetime love for learning in my children – summer will give us the freedom to explore all those “off the beaten curriculum paths” and the "little nooks and crannies of the world" that you won’t find in text books.


An added benefit is the opportunity to take off when needed during the regular school year without guilt or rescheduling because I know the children have learned year round!


And finally, I think it is just easier for me to manage and makes keeping my sanity at times more manageable.. *LOL*

1 comment:

  1. I just say those weeks we are unschooling!

    hee hee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...