"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Sunday, July 15, 2007

Curriculum Time...all the choices...

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic???


I have been working on lesson plans and trying to assimilate curriculum. I love this time of year. It is sooo exciting with all the options and choices out there. My favorite books at this time of year are the Rainbow Resources catalog and Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool and Tobin's Science catalog  (highly recommending all three)...


I love reading every little detail and imagining all the things I can do  to supplement and make the learning complete. All the crafts and activities.... the excitement that only a homeschool mom can truly understand.


Generally, we work in short sessions. Being done with all of the essential class work in 2-21/2 hrs. We do Math and Phonics daily for 15-30 minutes sessions, depending on (depending on the child’s level and the length of the lesson). We drill 2 times a week in spelling and math. Sometimes my DS does his drills standing up and doing jumping jacks....(I say whatever works, as that is the beauty of homeschooling)....Sometimes instead of working on the current math text, we'll play math games and practice facts that we have learned that way. My kids love to play Monopoly Jr. and nothing helps spelling like Boggle.


Reading is work to some... To us, it's enjoyment, a "flight into fantasy and creativity". We've always enjoyed reading good books no matter what the time of year or the topic.Weekly library trips are a pleasure and the 45 minute drive to the library is only a minor difficulty in the pleasure that we recieve from the trip. We use the time in the car to watch great videos and listen to "books on CD". Another example of the unschooling method I am finding myslef becoming involved with.


Writing... Now that's a topic or in the words of my darling son "a torture"....This year we are going to foray into the "Land of Handwriting without Tears".... We used Abeka for cursive this year and he truly dreaded it. I won't make the mistake again of continuing with a curriculum that makes him miserable purely for the fact that I feel we need to complete it...I am coming to the conclusion that I am in control, not the curriculum and it is just a tool to aid in our learning journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message...