"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Sunday, March 1, 2009

Some thought-out decisions...

Well, this year has been a BIG struggle for me... I haven't been as focused and I have been worrying about the kids and their education...

Am I really doing what needs to be done?

Are they getting what they need?

Is there education going to be adequate?

These are all questions that have been running through my mind this year... In years past, I have truly enjoyed homeschooling and had no worries, but this year had been a toll.. I had been stressed and I just didn't feel good... I felt like I was always on a timeline and that if I didn't get things completed, we were failing what we needed to accomplish..

So after much in-depth prayer, soul-searching, and discussions with my DH.. We have decided to go back to our easy-going laid back eclectic style...Even leaning more on a delight-directed with a touch of "unschooling" approach...

We are going to continue to homeschool year round, but with the focus on family, fun with learning, and less stress...I truly think this is the path for us and I welcome comments from those of you who currently pursue it...

Have a great homeschool week!!

 

2 comments:

  1. We too stress the growth of our family ties and the joy of learning over a strict schedule with predetermined lists to do. Our oldest son, who is very learning challenged and medically fragile, graduates this year from homeschooling. He would not be seen as an excellent student but he is seen by all as having an excellent liberal arts education. I finally figured out that pushing him through school instead of guiding him in how to find the answers he needed was killing his love of learning. It took me a while to figure this out but it has helped him a great deal.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you are doing a great job with homeschooling! I know we alike in many ways, especially in the "have to get everything done to feel like we got anything done" way. That is something I struggle with so much in homeschool and in life in general. I have always found comfort in knowing that you have many of the same hurdles as I do. If I can ever lend an ear to listen or a shoulder to lean/cry on, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message...