"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

School Planning for the New Year 2010-2011

Yes, it's that time again... Every July I begin the practice of planning my new school year... I usually have a good idea in mind what curriculums to use and what areas to cover, but I always refer back to a specific book that has helped me tremendously since I started homeschooling 6 years ago...

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School

It cover Preschool through 12th grade and is very detailed with specific comments about what is expected... It is perfect for those who have questions about what to teach next, whether they are on the right track, or like me just want an idea of where to go next... The resource lists are great and it is a definite help for those of us who like to use unit studies or like to make our own...

Another great resource is, yes, another book by Rebecca Rupp... "THE COMPLETE HOME LEARNING SOURCE BOOK"

The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology

I pull this out every year as I look at different curriculums and when I am planning our unit studies... It's classified by subject area and sub-divided into topics, so you can easily find resources for what you are looking for whether it includes books, films, science kits, board games, coloring books and more ... A treasured item in our HS library for sure... The only draw back is that it could use some updating as new curriculums and resources are continually coming out...

And last I always turn to "HOMESCHOOL SHARE" ... This has to be my favorite FREE resource ever!!! I use things from this website all year long, whether it be a literature-based unit study, a lapbook, mini-books to go along with a book or subject that we are using or studying... I can't say enough about the wonderful things you will find there... and all the hard work put in by different homeschoolers and their willingness to share their work with others.. It has definitely been a blessing to our homeschool...

Well, these are the things that I use every year as I plan... If you have any other resources, I would love to hear about them... Anything that makes planning easier is certainly a benefit to us all...

Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message...