"Never let formal education get in the way of your learning. " Mark Twain


"For I have learned, in whatever state I am, therein to be content" Phillipians 4:11



Friday, July 30, 2010

Nature Study the Charlotte Mason way...

For the last couple of years,  I have been wanting and working towards  a more relaxed homeschool, following more of an eclectic Charlotte Mason style for our education and school plans...I also wanted to begin a regular nature study... I was inspired by e-mails from the Outdoor Hour and the "Handbook of Nature Study" blog..



So last spring the kids and I got some "Nature Backpacks" together and started going on little hikes and short adventures in different areas and just seeing what we discovered...

Today we went with some HS friends  (at the suggestion of my friend, THANKS RHONDA) to a park about 1 1/2 hrs. drive from our house... It was a beautiful park and a great place to have some relaxed impromptu school and nature study...

Armed with or backpacks containing our miscellaneous nature guides, binoculars, field mini-microscopes, bug nets, sketch pads, and colored pencils down the trails we went... One of my favorite books for this is Anna Comstocks "Handbook of Nature Study" , a must have for any homeschool library in my opinion... I had always borrowed it from a friend or the library, but I broke down in the spring and purchased my own copy...

Handbook of Nature Study

Here are some pictures from our adventures today...

[caption id="attachment_772180" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The kids and their friends about to take off on their ourdoor adventure..."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_772181" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Looking at the ducks..."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_772183" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Looking for tadpoles..."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_772184" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Doing some sketching of items we saw along the way... "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_772185" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Just enjoying the beautiful park... "][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message...